Reduce the stress of the moving process by hiring a reliable moving company to transport your belongings to your new home. Here are some tips for hiring a reputable company that fits your budget.
1. Get referrals. If your family, friends or coworkers had a great experience with a moving company, chances are you will, too. Ask around for names of two or three companies to consider; you’ll want to get estimates for each.
2. Research online. Once you have your list of referred companies, research them online to make sure they are legitimate. Visit the American Moving and Storage Association’s website (moving.org) to see if the company is a member. Membership is voluntary and requires that members abide by the organization’s guidelines. Check review sites and social media to see what their customers say about them and if the companies have a history of customer complaints. Also, visit the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration website (fmcsa.dot.gov) and type in each company’s USDOT number to see if they’re licensed and insured.
3. Get estimates in person. Many professionals may offer an estimate based on the number of rooms in a home; however, insist on an in-home estimate. Be sure to show them everything you want moved, including furniture, boxes and items that haven’t been packed yet so they can estimate the weight accurately.
If you’re moving to another state, ask for a written binding estimate or a binding not-to-exceed estimate, which will put a limit on what you will be expected to pay. If you’re moving within your state, the rules about estimates will vary by state. Visit your state’s website to learn more.
4. Review the estimate. This is your opportunity to get clarification and ask questions. Be sure to get any changes in writing. Verify how much the company will be moving, the distance it will be moved, the times your items will be picked up and delivered to your new home and the availability of additional services such as packing and supplies. This will reduce the chances of dealing with unexpected charges.
5. Get a written copy of the mover’s inventory list. Additionally, give the movers specific directions for getting to your home and exchange phone numbers in case you need to reach each other.
We work with great moving companies in our local area. If you’d like a referral to one, let us know. If you’re thinking of buying or selling, give us a call! We look forward to guiding you through the process and making your move as stress-free as possible.
Credit: Buffini & Company