Thinking of buying or selling a home this year? Here are a few tips to help you get through the real estate process.
1. Don’t obsess about timing. Many buyers and sellers attempt to anticipate the movement of the market so they can time their purchase or listing right. In reality, the right time to buy or sell is when you’re ready to buy or sell. Instead of obsessing about the perfect time, focus on making sure you’re ready.
2. Check your expectations. Television and the experiences of your friends and family may color your expectations of the buying or selling process. Everyone’s experience will be different. Learning more about the process and the state of the market will help you set realistic expectations.
3. Keep your emotions in check. Most people go through the real estate process a few times in their lives. Buying a home is a huge investment, and buyers may put extra pressure on themselves to find the perfect home that meets all their buying criteria. Similarly, selling a home is an emotional journey—you’ve put a lot of time and energy into fixing up a home and made a lot of good memories there. When emotions are involved, it’s easy to make a rash decision. You’ll feel more in control of the process if you try to stay focused and calm.
4. Do your research. If you’re thinking of buying, check out the neighborhoods you want to live in, think of how long you’d like to live in the home and write down your must-haves and deal breakers. If you’re thinking of selling, we can help you position your home to sell in our market.
5. Rely on a pro. You’re not alone on your journey. We’re here to answer your questions, ease your concerns and guide you through the process. Call us anytime you have a question or concern. We’re never too busy for your questions.
Credit: Buffini & Company